No joke at all when I say I have been thinking about this quilt for over a year. It's been the longest sewing debate so far, but I LOVE this fabric and spent enough on it I wanted to be sure I'd L-O-V-E the final product.
I started cutting today.
I have had many ideas of what to do with this fabric, at first I was thinking modern and "wonky" but the fabric is so geometrical I felt like the idea would conflict itself. Then I thought simple squares--I just did 4 of those--I needed something new and fun...back to the drawing board--then school started and it sat in the back burner for a while. I decided to do zig-zag or chevron of some sort, but it seemed too "easy"... Not that I wanted it to be hard or difficult I just wanted it to look hard but have a different dimension to it.
I found this: Easy herringbone tutorial
So I started drawing and this is what I came up with...
Yes my child helped me with this.My husband: "why do you waste your time drawing?"
**Skip this part if you don't want your head to hurt**
There is a lot of figuring to do. What I decided was to make each finished strip 2" wide and 9" long. So each has to be cut 2 1/2" and 9 1/2" to allow for my 1/4" seam allowance. Each piece will be cut at a 60 degree angle (usually they are 45 in zig zag or chevron--I wanted something different). So, if I cut the strips at 9 1/2" long at the angle they will be 8 1/2" long, so I have to allow for that in my finished quilt size figuring. I picked 2 1/2" for my width for several reasons, 1 because I wanted the rows not to be too wide or too thin and it would get the best use of fabric (see below).
So I get out my iron and ironing assistant "Mary Ellen's Best Press" and start ironing my 22 fat quarters and 5 1/2 yards of cream.
(See my fabric choices here)
It's time to start cutting. So I first square up my fat quarters by lining my salvage up with a straight line on my mat (white edge on left is salvage). Some of my fabrics are hard to do this with, like the one pictured, because I want my lines straight so I need to square these right so they are cut straight, some of my fabrics it doesn't matter if they are perfectly straight.
So I cut each of the 3 sides (not the salvage, you'll see why in a minute) so they are straight.
Now I will cut strips of my fabric the same way as my salvage--this is because the stretch of the fabric runs against the salvage so when my pieces are cut the stretch will be with the 2 1/2" sides this way I'll have less stretch to deal with. So I'll cut 8-2 1/2" strips and then later will sew them together so I will have one long piece of each color. PS: If you don't have a rotary cutter--get one...
This is why I did not trim the salvages--It is in my 1" of waste after I cut my strips.
Repeat until all strips are cut.
Now I just need to cut the cream (under the strips). I'll need more than the colors--I have 21 colors and 8 strips of each. Each strip is about 17 1/2" long so:
17.5x8=140" for each color stripe, I have 21 colors so
140x21=2940" total. YUCK!
Now if I divide 2940 by 43 (width of my cream) that tells me I need to cut a total of 69 2 1/2" strips.
That's 172.5" of strips or 14.375 feet or 4.8 yards. So I have enough cream, some left over for mistakes and possibly a border...if needed.
After I cut the cream I will sew each of the strips together using a 1/4" seam allowance. Including the cream. I'll press these with the seams going one way then I will start cutting the 60 degree pieces. I will tell you more about that in the next post--it will get confusing!